Friday, March 21, 2014

From the Archives


I was going through my old negatives to enter some pictures in a contest, and found some others that didn't make the cut, but still caught my eye.

Here are two:


This is Butch, who worked as Cy Twombly's assistant in Lexington for many years, arranging supplies, generally helping out and even, he says, sometimes preparing the canvases and painting background onto them.  I made the picture in Twombly's studio shortly after the artist died.  Butch kindly allowed me to interview him for a story for WDBJ, when I worked there.  I was strictly forbidden to make pictures of the studio itself, but Butch let me film the interview against one of the walls, and then make some stills of him.

Those marks?  That's paint from the canvas, which was tacked to the wall as Twombly worked.


This is from the same roll of Kodak BW400CN.  (I have had a real love affair with that film, especially when I could afford to get it easily processed at the local WalMart.)  It shows children leaving a summer program -- Kids' University in Buena Vista -- after the final day's show and art display.  It oddly caught my eye as I went through my pictures.  Why?

These were shot with a Leica, probably an M3 (though I didn't keep detailed enough notes) and my 28mm f/2.8.

No comments:

Post a Comment