Monday, March 10, 2014

So ... What Up?

Retired Biology Professor Cleve Hickman points out the location of his cabin on an aerial view of House Mountain.
He shot the picture himself after he bought the cabin, some 40 years ago.

I do still need to do the wedding day pictures to go with my other post, but that would be incredibly time consuming.  It's coming, though.

In the meantime, there's this, a picture from a project that is not mine, but that of my wife.  I tagged along to help as she filmed for a documentary on the people who have lived and live now on House Mountain, a significant landmark adjacent to Lexington.

I like to think it has a somewhat National Geographic feel to it.

On another tack, I continue to search for moments and places to do nighttime landscapes of Roanoke as I drive in to work.  This morning I shot this ...






Not as clean, detached and cool as the others I have done, though it does have a kind of "After Midnight" aspect, with the empty cafe table and dark shadows. 

This is how the photographic process works.  There are times when something falls into your lap: Prof. Hickman simply plopped that picture on the table next to his window to see it better, but accidentally placed himself in perfect light and a perfect position for me.  Other times, it just doesn't seem to come together.  You see something, and you work at it, but there isn't that satisfying instant when you look through the lens and say to yourself: "That's it!  That's perfect!  Please don't move."  I think I worked the nighttime image too hard, wanting it to become something I could sense but not capture.


Maybe tomorrow ...


No comments:

Post a Comment